Statistics - time it takes to find a job

Jessica Berry

I thought I would re-post one of my posts (from Poms in Adelaide) from August 2013. Obviously the information is from a couple of years ago and the job market in many areas has slowed down since then, but I thought people might find it useful to have something to refer to and help people who are coming over plan their budgets. Some people find work quickly and for others it takes a while due to a variety of reasons.

Previous post below.......

Taken from the Career One job supplement in The Advertiser (Adelaide), but the figures will be for Australia wide.

Jobseekers should leave at least 3 months for their job search and be prepared for it to take even longer to get into work or find a better position.

That is the median length of time it is taking unemployed jobseekers to be hired as well as a rough guide for those already employed and applying for work elsewhere.

Time spent looking for work...

1 to 4 weeks - 16%

4 to 13 weeks - 38%

13 to 26 weeks - 18%

26 - 52 weeks - 20%

Whole year - 8%

The time it takes people to get jobs of course varies depending on many factors. This is a guide for people coming over as to how long it may take to secure work. People start panicking when they have been here just for a couple of weeks and don't have a job, but the process of securing work can take time and people need to ensure they have the necessary funds to cover themselves.

In our own circumstances our first jobs back when we arrived in 2007 (and jobs were definitely more plentiful than now in my opinion), my OH gained a temp position within 1 week of arriving and a permanent position within 3 weeks of us arriving. I gained a permanent position 10 weeks of arriving.

We were both lucky securing permanent jobs for our first jobs. I feel if we were arriving now it would be more likely that we would secure temporary contract roles to start with.

• Like 1

Good points! The States require you to have enough capital to support yourself for 6 months so their expectation would be 3-6 months I think - unless you were prepared to make coffee or serve drinks in which case there is more immediate employment usually available. It's that career establishment stuff that takes the time (and the job application process in many places can grind on for months internally!)